Applying for Scholarship
Once your child has been accepted by the private school,
the private school will have you complete a Scholarship Request Form, along
with your proof of current address and your child’s birth certificate, to the
- The private school will submit an EdChoice
application for your child through the online secure application system, ONLY
available to the private school.
- Check the Federal Poverty Guidelines to
determine if you meet the income requirements for your household size and you
want your income verified to determine if you qualify for low income
status. [Note: Families applying for an
expansion scholarship MUST have their income verified; it is NOT optional.]
- Obtain a copy of the Income Verification Form HERE
or from the private school where you applied.
- Complete the Income Verification Form, gather
all supporting income documents (see list on form), and mail to the address
listed on the form by the listed deadline.
How to Renew
Students who are currently receiving an EdChoice
scholarship can renew the scholarship for the
2020-2021 school year as long as they meet the following
- They take all required state achievement tests
for their grade level;
- They do not have more than 20 unexcused absences
for the school year; and
- They do not move out of the school district in
which they became eligible.
- Note: If students move to a new school district
(e.g., moved from Columbus City SD to Toledo City SD, etc.), they would have to
be assigned to an eligible school in the new district to be able to renew their
- Parents of renewal students who meet these
requirements must complete the EdChoice Scholarship Renewal Form and submit it,
along with a copy of a current utility bill, to the private school that their
child will attend for the 2020-2021 school year.
- If your child will attend a different private
school next year, complete the admissions process at the NEW private school.
Once the child is accepted, provide the new school with the Scholarship Renewal
Form and proof of current address.
- The private school will submit a renewal for
your child through the online EdChoice Scholarship application system.
- Check the Federal Poverty Guidelines chart. If
you meet the income requirements for your household size and you want to have
your income verified to determine if you qualify for low income status, obtain
a copy of the Income Verification Form. Complete the Income Verification Form
and submit it, along with supporting income documents, to the address listed on
the form by the listed deadline to substantiate your income.
- In July/August, the Ohio Department of Education
(ODE) will notify by mail those parents who applied during the first
application period about whether or not their child has been awarded a
- In July/August, ODE will notify by mail those
parents who apply for the scholarship during the second application period about
whether or not their child has been awarded a scholarship.
For Further Information regarding EdChoice, please click here.